Frequently Asked Questions
Recall or replace an email message that you sent
Last Updated 18 days ago
With message recall, a message that you sent is retrieved from the mailboxes of the recipients who haven’t yet opened it. You can also substitute a replacement message. For example, if you forgot to include an attachment, you can try to retract the message, and then send a replacement message that has the attachment.
Message recall is available after you click Send and is available only if the recipient has an Exchange account within the same organization.
To recall and replace a message2016, 2013, 20102007
- In the folder pane, choose the Sent Items folder.
- Open the message that you want to recall. You must double-click to open the message. Selecting the message so it appears in the reading pane won't allow you to recall the message.
- Under the Message tab, choose Actions > Recall This Message.
NOTE: If you don’t see the Recall This Message command, you probably don’t have an Exchange account or the feature isn’t available within your organization.
- Click Delete unread copies of this message or Delete unread copies and replace with a new message, and then click OK.
- If you’re sending a replacement message, compose the message, and then click Send.